Hey there punk,

This right here is the blog I'll be posting reviews on from now on. Expect bursts of productivity brushing shoulders with lengthy periods of total apathy. At the time of this writing my main idea is to use Something I wrote today for the publishing of reviews for records I offer through Don't Buy Records, but perhaps I'll use it for other shit as well. Lord knows I can rant! Hell, I might be a vlogger in a year or two. I've been contemplating a career shift for a while now and my mom says I've got the looks for it so who knows?

Want to buy some records? Go here: www.dontbuyrecords.blogspot.com

Want to talk shit? Reach out here: dontbuyrecords @ gmail . com

Sleeper & Snake - Fresco Shed (Upset the Rhythm Records)


Second album by this Melbourne duo. The first I heard too, but I don’t recall much of it. It ain’t easy keeping track of the family tree of Melbourne’s underground, but these cats can be found on many of its branches both as a couple and seperately. Snake is better known by the name of Al Montfort, Sleeper by the name of Amy Hill. The two of them form one half of Terry, a band with a similar pop sensibility. If you appreciate the experimental side of Terry, the Sleeper and Friends Lp on R.I.P. Society and/or loved the Eastlink records Al was involved with, you’re bound to find something to like on this album too.

Fresco Shed brings to mind the Velvet Underground for more than one reason. Like the Velvets, Sleeper and Snake are arty and don’t shy away from experimentation. Don’t expect wild improvisation and free jazz skronk though. The experimentation I’m talking about is of a more subtle nature. It’s expressed in the instrumentation – on the back of the sleeve we see Amy playing a cello and Al a soprano saxophone - and compositon of these ten songs. Furthermore the tunes are all well written minimalist pop songs that sorta meander and bring to mind those lazy laidback Sunday mornings Lou sang about a long time ago. Lastly there are beautiful vocal harmonies to be heard on this record, which should come as no surprise to those already familiar with Terry. Although this album is unconventional in many ways, at least to yours truly, the songs are ultimately pop tunes that are easy on the ear. Fresco Shed is an enjoyable listen from start to end, which should appeal to art school kids, who smoke without fully inhaling whilst wearing fashionable berets as well as cynical old punks that have been turning grey for years and think they’ve heard it all such as myself. That’s a pretty broad scope. Chances are you fit in somewhere in between so why not give this a hear?

Hear the thing here: https://lsdclub.bandcamp.com/album/fresco-shed.